CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Random Acts of Kindness

One of the many blessings I've received since beginning my genealogy quest 25 years ago is how willing and helpful other genealogists have been to me. Most people who are pursuing their genealogy are more than willing to share information they have discovered on surnames others are also searching. There are others who take note of information on surnames that aren't in their ancestry and share this information with those who are researching those surnames.

Recently, I was contacted by a man who, after reading my query on a genealogical bulletin, recalled his encountering my surname during his research at the vital records office of Virginia. We began an e-mail correspondence and he has given me such valuable information! Through him, I discovered that one of my ancestors was possibly enslaved on Thomas Jefferson's plantation. He has also put me in touch with a historian at Monticello, Jefferson's plantation. This historian has begun to eagerly assist me with my research. I am thankful and blessed to have met both of these people.

The random acts of kindness of two strangers has enabled me to finally begin to chip away at the brick wall of 1960 that most African-American genealogists encounter. If while pursuing your genealogy you encounter information that may be helpful to others, please share that information and help another. Your tiny bit of information may be just the help that someone needs.

Blessings,
T

0 comments: